Belize is welcoming travelers again, with a Tourism Gold Standard program in place designed to keep you safe and recognized as one of the top in the world. See our Health & Safety page for up-to-date details related to COVID-19 vaccinations, testing requirements and everything else you need to know in order to have the Belize vacation of your dreams.
BTB Love Belize Sea Challenge
Love FM, a local radio station, and the Belize Tourism Board have teamed up to contest what used to be Belize’s most grueling race by rolling out the BTB Love Belize Sea Challenge. La Ruta Maya participants had to practice months in advance for the 4-day race, but for this brand-new sea challenge, paddlers will endure six days. The route stretches from the southern region of the country to the northern, totaling over 190 miles.
The Rules & Regulations state the challenge as being open to “any and all hard souls throughout Belize and the world, who dare to take up the quest for victory and pursue the adventure of a lifetime.” The race is from May 22, 2019 to May 27, 2019, and here are the details you need to know.
Times & Location:
- Day 1: 5 a.m. Punta Gorda Town to Placencia
- Day 2: 5 a.m. Placencia to Dangriga
- Day 3: 5 a.m. Dangriga to Belize City
- Day 4: 5 a.m. Belize City to San Pedro
- Day 5: 5 a.m. San Pedro to Sarteneja
- Day 6: 5 a.m. Sarteneja to Corozal Bay
Teams will consist of 4 members, two of which must start the race each day in order to achieve Official Ranking and Place. The third and/or fourth substitute paddler will be allowed to enter the race at the changing points assigned.
- Mixed (2 males, 2 females)
There will be three different prizes: Station Prizes, Division Prizes the Championship Prize. The cash prizes are said to be worth $15,000 USD (with additional prizes).
- Promoting Belize as a tourism destination and a key location for paddlers and kayakers.
- Highlighting the rich, cultural history of the local communities along the coast; food, music, tradition, etc.
- Creating the environmental awareness with paddlers and fans on the importance of protecting Belize’s natural and cultural resources.
- Providing visiting teams with a unique Belizean experience and an opportunity to see Belize from an up-close and local perspective.
Whether at the kick-off point in the Southernmost point of Belize or cheering at the finish line, you cannot miss this sea challenge that is sure to become a Belizean tradition.
For more information on Belize events, feel free to email us at email@example.com or call us toll-free at 1-800-624-0686.