Belize is welcoming travelers again, with a Tourism Gold Standard program in place designed to keep you safe and recognized as one of the top in the world. See our Health & Safety page for up-to-date details related to COVID-19 vaccinations, testing requirements and everything else you need to know in order to have the Belize vacation of your dreams.
Traveling south of Belize foodie? Here’s the top 5 Garifuna Must-Eats that you cannot afford to miss! Savor the distinctive spices that can only derive from the Garifuna Culture, such as: Sere, Conch Soup, Darasa, Tapou, and Cassava Pudding.
Enjoy the local dishes of the south; it’s a combination of foods and spices that are distinctive to the Garifuna culture. Primary diet includes cassava, coconut milk & oil, fish, plantains, bananas, and other ground foods.
5 Garifuna Must-Eats:
It’s a taste that awakens each of your senses…
1. Hudut: A coconut milk (Fish) soup infused with local spices, and served with a side of mashed green and seasoned ripe plantains with coconut.
2. Conch Soup: Conch meat soup in a creamy coconut milk liquid with fresh vegetables and spices sizzling to perfection; the aroma alone is captivating.
3. Tapou: A fish-based creamy soup with a range of ingredients, such as: cassava root, green & ripe plantain, lemon and orange citrus seasonings, ginger, basil and other spices.
4. Darasa: Similar in appearance to the Spanish tamales, Darasa is a grated slightly green banana mixture of coconut milk, lemon and orange juices, and seasonings. The mixture is then wrapped in a banana leaf and boiled in water until solid.
5. Cassava Pudding: Complete your foodie-ventures with a slice of this traditional Cassava pudding. This sweet-rubbery-textured desert includes grated cassava, coconut and evaporated milk, ginger, nutmeg, butter, brown sugar, vanilla and eggs baked together.
If there’s one thing you need-to-know about the Garinagu (Garifuna) culture, is that it exudes vibrance, from its heritage to its cuisines, get ready to indulge! For more information on this and other highlights of Belize, or for tips on planning your dream vacation, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call us TOLL FREE at: 1-800-624-0686.